Casa Rosales

Casa Rosales

Saturday 28 June 2014

Medieval Market

(Before anything...I have always used 'Mediaeval' as the spelling but I checked and double-checked and it would seem that the current preferred spelling is 'Medieval' even in the UK so I'm going with that.)


On Sunday afternoon, Ruy, Romy and I went with our neighbour, Sergio, to the neighbouring town of Priego de Cordoba.
It's a lovely town about the same size as Alcala la Real but with a different and rather more prosperous feel to it and once you get into the town, its much flatter!

It has lots of narrow streets that in May are awash with colour from the potted plants that are typical of the provincial capital - Cordoba.



However, it was already coming to the end of June when we went and the flowers had passed their most abundant. And we hadn't come to see the flowers anyway.

We came to the Medieval Market that was being held in front of the old castle and for a another more specific reason...I'll get to it in a mo but first a bit of background!

I remember when we lived in Huddersfield checking out local Archery clubs as I felt sure it was something my children would enjoy doing - and we were surrounded by lots and lots of clubs, all within 5 to 10 miles of us and all offering classes for young beginners. We never actually got round to joining any of them as it happens but obviously, the idea stuck with me and when I discovered the opportunity for them to have a go at archery here in Spain, I signed them up at once. I wrote about the day here. All three of them enjoyed the session but Ruy had either outstanding good luck or was something of a budding archer. Indeed, he got a bow for his birthday last year and has been practicing (on and off) ever since. Finding a club has been more difficult though!

The nearest is in Priego - about half an hour away - but the club only meets informally and sporadically - usually, a text message is sent out as the weekend approaches to say if there's a meeting. I spoke to the president of the club and he said he'd let me know but I've only had one message and it was on a weekend when we couldn't go. And there's no teaching per se.

However, how incredibly lucky are we that our wonderful neighbour, Sergio - who turns up and helps whenever we might need him, who is a fount of knowledge and wisdom about what's going on, when and where, who offers advice on dogs, cherries, cars - is also a passionate (and, more importantly, a non-hunting) expert in archery!!

He knows all the archers who ran the session that my children went to last year and has taken Ruy under his wing. He was going to the Medieval Market in Priego as part of the archery club and was dressed as a monk (I resisted the temptation to call him Friar Tuck....but it was difficult!) and as Ruy just happened to have a very convenient 'Knight' costume, which he donned without hesitation - we were whisked off for a bit of 'authentic' target practice in the grounds of the castle. Sergio had made all his own arrows from wood, finished with feathers, including an amazing one that whistled as it went - to frighten the enemy, apparently.

Deserted streets....where was everyone?


Doesn't Sergio make a great monk...? 


The Archers were all at the old castle - in costume and with some great Mediaeval props.

There was music...

...and madness
A Medieval shopping mall...

And quite a bit of nifty bow work....well done Ruy!

And of course, Romy had a go too.

And there were demonstrations of excellence all evening from various experts - including Sergio, of course.
 Choose your target, Ruy.



Not bad...though he went on later to hit the centre spot.

Entertainment - albeit of a rather gruesome sort...this creature was quite grotesque!

Romy in middle, keeping only a fairly save distance!


Monk with camera....


He moved very quickly.....
 
But was happy to pose for photos after the show...Romy snook on the end for a picture
 We had a great evening and Ruy proved that it wasn't just luck that afternoon. He has a natural ability and will be going regularly to the meetings  - apparently they use a mobile app to keep each other informed and I don't have it - hence the lack of information. But now, Sergio will keep us informed. He likes to do that.


18 comments:

  1. What a brilliant outing. I remember the images of the floral decked streets, and that gorgeous tiled building on the corner of the terrace that has a wonderful view over the surrounding land. Sergio sounds...and looks to be a great friend to have around, and Ruy's costume was wonderful. It looks as if you all had a great time. The photos are superb, and really show what a great time you had. Jxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priego is very pretty, Janice, isn't it? I hadn't realised there was a castle - there's not much left of it and only the courtyard area, where the archery was held, is accessible now. Not like Alcala...
      Sergio is a treasure and Ruy is out practicing with him right now. Ruy's costume was from Carnaval here a couple of years ago and so I was glad it got another outing as it wasn't cheap!
      We enjoyed the evening very much indeed. Axxx

      Delete
  2. Good neighbours are worth their weight in gold. Happy memories for you all.

    Wonderful to see that Ruy has discovered a talent for an outdoor hobby without a computer in sight! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, Gaynor. I can't begin to sing Sergio's praises enough. The only thing is he does talk very fast and I probably only catch 60% of what he says but it's good for me!
      Ruy is a very good archer - and a left-handed,so getting hold of a bow was a bit tricky - I think with the right encouragement and support he could do well and the archery club members are a lovely and friendly group - and they love dressing up!
      Axxx

      Delete
  3. Hello Annie,

    What an extraordinary event this looks to have been. Sometimes we feel that the things surrounding us are so amazingly different from anything one has experienced before that one must be in a film rather than real life. This would certainly have been the case for us at the Medieval Fair.......amazing!

    And, how wonderful that Ruy has found a group to belong to. Clearly, his archery skills are worthy of nurturing. William Tell II no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great fun, Jane and Lance. I hadn't stopped to think whether it was extraordinary or not but now I do, I can say that Spain has many Medieval Fairs both here in the south - there's one in Alcala every year - and also further north. I remember stopping en route from Madrid to Valladolid one year at a lovely Medieval fair in San Rafael....it must have been around midnight but the fair was in full swing. And also, in a small village near my in-laws, another is held each year. The houses there seem to be from the same period too...made of mud and adobe. It really feels ancient when you are there, And you've made me think of another too...in fact, a blogworthy place! Thank you!

      Ruy is really enjoying learning this new skill and shows signs of being rather good. I hope he continues. I like to think of him as Robin Hood...saves Romy having to put an apple on her head!
      Axxx

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic event, Annie and it looks like Ruy and Romy took full advantage of it. It will be great if Ruy can pursue his interest in archery, as it would be such a shame not to nurture a budding talent. I love your photos. They bring out so well the 'otherness' of an event like this. After all it's not exactly your average village fete, is it? :-)

    I'm so glad you have such a good friend and neighbour in Sergio. He's obviously worth his weight in gold.

    PS Despite Chrome's best attempts to correct my spelling, I still can't stop myself writing mediaeval. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was full of lovely atmosphere, Perpetua and we all enjoyed it. I am hoping Ruy will do well and enjoy the archery. Sergio is definitely giving him lots of encouragement too.
      Glad you like my photos - they were all 'snaps' as there seemed to be so much going on at the same time!
      It was the constant correcting of my spelling that made me decide to change to the version with the 'a'....should I have stuck to my guns, I wonder?

      Axxx

      Delete
    2. I suppose iPads etc can not join the a to the e so we are stuck with the spell check version.

      Delete
    3. I got fed up of being told I was spelling it wrong and capitulated....I feel a bit bad about it though. I love the joined up a and e letter.
      Axxx

      Delete
  5. Third attempt at a comment....interrupted each time by squawks of dismay from the office where Leo is busy butchering yet another computer.....I don't know what he does to them but I'm jolly sure he's not getting his hands on my little laptop!

    Your photographs take me inside the event....really well organised and presented...and how super that your son had the costime and could join in the events under the kindly eye of Sergio.

    We 'did' archery at school and I loved it - and not just for the thought of pinning the games mistress to the target...but took things no further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let Leo get his hands on your laptop - that would be dreadful!
      My photos, as I just said to Perpetua, were done in a sort of whirling, snapping manner as I seemed to be in the middle of all the action. It meant many were rather blurred but full of atmosphere...It was well organised and very good fun. Some nice food around too!
      I have always fancied archery but gosh - doesn't it hurt the fingers? I only did it a couple of times but found it very uncomfortable. Love your idea of pinning the games mistress to the target though....ours was a beast!
      Axxx

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful day out and brilliant Ruy has found a new hobby and making new friends. Its lovely when neighbours all mix in together and pool resources. Being a left hander myself I can appreciate the difficulty in getting hold of appropriate equipment, it was only the other day I read why my ball point pen only works in fits and starts - I am pushing the ball instead of rolling it - never heard of a left handed ball point though lol xcx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chrissie, a real boon to have such a good neighbour who shares this rather unusual hobby. I hope Ruy goes on to make lots more friends who enjoy archery - from Sergio's photos, it looks as though they know how to enjoy themselves.
      Left handers do have it tough sometimes ....as for a ballpoint pen for you...gosh, can't imagine how that would work differently!
      Axxx

      Delete
  7. The grotesque creature looks like the character from the film Jeepers Creepers - scary alright.
    I wish I was good at archery, it seems like such an elegant, precise sort of a sport... I can't even throw a dart though, so I think I would struggle with a bow. Good luck to Ruy!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watch scary films...I prefer my monsters live and then only those who will pose for photos..:-)

      It does look elegant when done well. I found it very painful! I'm not too bad with darts, though but keep well away if I ever have a bowling ball in my 'grip' - I managed to wipe out the people at the table behind me once.....

      Thanks - I'll pass on your encouragement to Ruy!
      Axxx

      Delete
  8. My first thought was, "Wow - the famous Sergio is actually a monk!"
    I was a bit disappointed when it turned out not to be so.
    (And yes, I also feel something is a bit wrong when I write "medieval")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wouldn't that have been wonderful! Sergio the monk....trust you, Nilly! Thank you for putting this two things together so perfectly and so sorry to disappoint you.

      I feel rather ashamed of capitulating to online spelling pressure....

      Axxx

      Delete

I welcome your comments - it makes blogging even more fun to know someone is reading!